#503:  Site of First County Courthouse

<< 1 >>


30977 Union City Blvd and Smith St, Alvarado District, Union City



State Plaque



From the plaque:

The first court house where Alameda County government began, June 6, 1853. Officials met in two-story wooden building erected by Henry C. Smith and A. M. Church as merchandise store. Seat of government moved to San Leandro in 1856 following vote of people of county in December 1854.

Tablet provided by California State Park Commission. Base furnished by Alameda County Parlors of Native Sons and Daughters Golden West. Dedicated June 6, 1953.

©2009 David Schmitt