.

#776:  Site of First Public School in Castro Valley

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

19200 Redwood Rd, between James and Alma, Castro Valley

37.707273,-122.07354

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Plaque is on private property and parking lot may be gated except during operating hours. Plaque is visible from a distance from outside gates.


From the plaque:

This site was part of the original Don Castro Land Grant. In 1866 pioneer settler Josiah Grover Brickell donated it for 'educational purposes only' and paid the salary of the teacher, who taught children in the one-room schoolhouse by day, and farmhands at night by candlelight.

Plaque placed by California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Vallecito Parlor No. 308, Native Daughters of the Golden West. November 25, 1962.



©2009 David Schmitt