From the plaque:
On this spot, which marks the summit
of the Kit Carson Pass, stood what was known as the Kit Carson Tree on which
the famous scout Kit Carson inscribed his name in 1844
when he guided the then Captain John C. Frémont,
head of a government exploring expedition, over the Sierra
Nevada mountains. The original inscription was cut from the tree
in 1888 and is now in Sutter's Fort, Sacramento.
Erected by Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, 1931.