.

#1007:  Knight Foundry

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Location:

81 Eureka St, Sutter Creek

38.393395,-120.800181

Plaque:

State plaque

Notes:

None


From the Plaque:

Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton Wheel design. Knight Wheels were used in some of the first hydroelectric plants in California, Utah, and Oregon. This site is the last water powered foundry and machine shop in California. A 42-inch Knight Wheel drives the main line shaft, with smaller water motors powering other machines.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Carl W. Borch and Historic Knight & Co., Ltd. October 24, 1992.


David Schmitt