.

#788:  D. Stewart Co. Store

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

18 E Main St, lone

38.352721,-120.932983

Plaque:

State plaque

Notes:

None


From the Plaque:

This general merchandise store built by Daniel Stewart in 1856 was the first building erected in lone Valley from nearby Muletown brick. Once known as 'Bed-Bug' and 'Freeze Out,' Ione was an important supply center on the main road to the Mother Lode and Southern Mines.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Chispa Parlor No. 40, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Ione Parlor No. 33, Native Sons of the Golden West. March 7, 1964.


David Schmitt