From the plaque:
On September 18, 1857, Congregation
B'nai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first
synagogue in the Mother Lode. High Holiday worship continued
until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate
the congregation. The wooden structure then served as
a schoolhouse until 1888. Relocated onto a nearby lot,
it became a private dwelling, and was razed in 1948.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the commission for the preservation of pioneer Jewish cemeteries and landmarks of the Judah L. Magnes Memorial Museum, June 27, 1976.