.

#867:  Preston Castle

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

Preston School of Industry, Waterman Rd - plaque located 0.9 miles N of site on State Hwy 104 (P.M. 4.3)

Site: 38.360974,-120.936997
Plaque: 38.360974,-120.936997

Plaque:

State plaque

Notes:

Site is located on private grounds and gated, though it can be seen from a distance. Tours available.


From the Plaque:

The "Castle," built in 1890-1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry, established by the State Legislature as a progressive action toward rehabilitating, rather than simply imprisoning, juvenile offenders. Doors of the 120-room "Castle" closed in 1960 after new facilities were completed.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Amador County Historical Society, July 14, 1974.


David Schmitt