From the Guidebook:
This monument was erected
to the memory of pioneers of Sandy Gulch, 1849 trading
center for miners of northeastern Calaveras County. The
settlement, in an area that was home to many Miwok Indians,
was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner
found large nuggets of gold embedded in the coarse sands.
Water for mining was brought from the middle fork of the
Mokelumne River through Sandy Gulch and Kadish Ditches
- quartz mining began in the early 1850s, and the first
custom stamp mill in the district was located at the head
of Sandy Gulch. School and election precincts were established
early, and one of California's many Hangman's Trees stood
near the center of town.
From the plaque:
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand. Water for mining was brought from the Middle Fork of the Mokelumne River. Through the Sandy Gulch and Kadish Ditches. Quartz mining began in the early fifties. The first custom stamp mill was at the head of Sandy Gulch. The school and elections precincts were established early. Hangman’s Tree stood near the center of town. Numerous Mi-Wuk Indians lived here then. There are many pioneers buried in the cemetery. This monument is erected in memory of them.
Originally dedicated by the Native Daughters of the Golden West, 14 September 1941. Plaque replaced by the Calaveras County Historical Society - 1993.