.

#254:  Camanche

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

At intersection of State Hwys 12 and 26, Valley Springs

38.212725,-120.92282

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Photo 4 is the approximate area of where the original town was.

Site and plaque located in Camanche Recreation area. A temporary access pass may be granted at gate.


From the guidebook:

Once called Limerick, the town became Camanche (after Camanche, Iowa) in 1849. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill brought its population to a peak of 1,500. Mokelumne River water was brought in by Lancha Plana and Poverty Bar Ditch. A fire on June 21, 1873 destroyed Camanche's large Chinatown. Buhach, an insect powder made from a plant, was manufactured on the nearby Hill Ranch. Camanche is now inundated by Camanche Reservoir.


From the plaque:

Named Camanche in 1849 after Camanche, Iowa. Once called Limerick Peak population 1500. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill. Mokelumne River water brought in by Lancha Plana and Poverty Bar ditch. Fire June 21, 1873, destroyed large Chinatown. Buhach manufactured on the nearby Hill Ranch.

Monument and plaque erected by Calaveras County Historical Society and residents of Camanche, in cooperation with the California State Park Commission. April 8, 1956


From the 2nd plaque:

Historical landmark plaque no. 254 was formerly located in the now submerged townsite of Camanche one half mile to your left (west). These hand hewn blocks are mortise stones from the south abutment of the Westmoreland Suspension Bridge, constructed during the gold rush era and formerly located two miles northeast of here.

Plaque placed and rededicated by the East Bay Municipal Utility District in cooperation with the Calaveras County Historical Society, May 5, 1968.



©2009 David Schmitt