From the plaque:
Richest placer mining section, extending five miles, in Calaveras County.
Received name from Chileans who worked gulch in 1848
and 1849, and scene of the so-called Chilean War.
Largest known quartz crystals recovered from
a mine on south side of gulch.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Mokelumne Lions Club. Dedicated July 4, 1949.