.

#267:  Mitchler Hotel

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

457 Main at Algiers St, Murphys

38.13762,-120.464933

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Murphys Hotel

James L. Sperry and John Perry opened the Sperry and Perry Hotel August 20, 1856. In 1881 Henry Atwood and then Harvey Blood owned it. In 1882, the Mitchler family renamed it the Mitchler Hotel. In 1945, the McKimins' changed its name to Murphys Hotel. In 1963, a College of the Pacific group purchased it. One of the oldest operating hotels in California.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Murphys A & Q Inc. (Owners), September 18, 1980.


From the Guidebook:

This is one of the oldest hotels still operating in California. First called the Sperry and Perry Hotel, it was opened by James L. Sperry and John Perry on August 20, 1856. Henry Atwood was its proprietor in 1881 - later, ownership passed to Harvey Blood. Renamed the Mitchler Hotel in 1882, and the Murphys Hotel in 1945 by the McKimins family, it was bought by a College of the Pacific group in 1963.



©2009 David Schmitt