From the plaque:
Gold discovered in
creek just below town by James H. Carson in 1848, whose
name was given to creek, hill, and town. In November
1854, at Morgan Mine, was found the largest gold nugget in California, weighing 195
pounds troy, worth at that time $43,000.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Angels Camp Lions Club. Dedicated May 22, 1949.