From the plaque:
In 1848 John W. Robinson
and Stephen Mead established ferry transport for freight,
animals and persons across river. In 1856 Harvey Wood
purchased interest and later acquired property which was
maintained by Wood Family until 1911. Charges were 50
cents for each passenger, horse, jenny or other animal.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Angels Camp Lions Club. Dedicated May 22, 1949.