In 1852 a chain cable bridge
replaced the ferries that once crossed here and was supplanted
in turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some
writers claimed that this was the location of Bret Harte's Poker
Flat. In late "49" there was a large camp here, with miners
washing gold out on both banks of the Stanislaus River.
Replaced by Calaveras County Historical Society 1993.