.

#295:  Paloma

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

Intersection of Paloma Rd and Edster St, Paloma

38.258991,-120.762175

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Gwin Mine, Paloma, and Lower Rich Gulch was mined for placer in 1849. Quartz was discovered by J. Alexander in 1851. Property acquired by William M. Gwin, California's first U.S. Senator, in 1851. The Gwin Mine, closed in 1908, yielded millions.

Marker placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Paloma Community Club. Dedicated September 5, 1949/p>


David Schmitt