From the plaque:
One of California's important
early day mining towns, named by
Mexicans meaning Little Valley. Gold was discovered here by the
Murphy brothers in 1849, and it was originally called
"Murphys' old diggings." This bell was cast at Troy N.
Y. in 1853. After being brought around the horn it was purchased
from the ship with funds contributed by early day residents, then
brought to Vallecito and erected in a large oak
tree in 1854. It was used to call the people together
until February 16, 1939, when a severe wind blew the old
This monument was erected by popular subscription and dedicated by the Grand Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West on the first day of October, 1939.