From the plaque:
A thriving mining camp on
rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850s and 1860s. Named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain
Ranch. Laws of the Brownsville mining district provided
that each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not
to exceed 150 square feet.
California State Park Commission. Monument base erected by Chispa Parlor No. 139 of NSGW and Ruby Parlor No. 46 of NDGW. Dedicated July 19, 1953.