From the plaque:
A portion of this building
served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to
1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas.
George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made
it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been in operation
since early gold mining days. It was known as the Grand
Hotel in 1874 when fire damaged it and destroyed its dance
hall. Restored in 1879, it has since been known as the
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Mokelumne Hill Lions Club, June 14, 1959.