From the plaque:
C. Lake erected here a canvas hotel in 1851. It was replaced by a one-story
wooden structure, and then by one of stone in 1855, with a
second story being added in 1857. Here, Samuel
Clemens first heard the yarn, which was later to bring him
fame as Mark Twain, author of "The Jumping Frog of Calaveras".
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Princess Parlor No. 84, Native Daughters of the Golden West, July 31, 1960.