.

#951:  Battery Point Lighthouse

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

Battery Pt Island, end of A St, Crescent City

41.7443762,-124.2118937

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Not accessible during high tides.


From the plaque:

The Battery Point Lighthouse is one of the first lighthouses on the California coast. Rugged mountains and unbridged rivers meant coastal travel was essential for the economic survival of this region. In 1855 Congress appropriated $15,000 for the construction of the light station, which was completed in 1856 by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. Theophilis Magruder was the station's first keeper; Wayne Piland was its last before automation in 1953.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Del Norte County Historical Society, September 19, 1987.



2009 David Schmitt