.

#142:  Studebaker's Shop (Site of)

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

543 Main St, Placerville

38.729398,-120.797887

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

This shop was built in the early 1850s. The front part housed a blacksmith shop operated by Ollis and Hinds, and John Mohler Studebaker rented a part of the rear. Here he had a bench and sort of woodworking shop where he repaired and worked on wagon wheels and the like. A little later he began to make wheelbarrows for the miners' use. He became engaged in the making of ammunition wagons for the Union Army - from that grew his extensive wagon and carriage business and, eventually, the automobile business.


From the plaque:

John Mohler Studebaker

1833---1917 Pioneer - Blacksmith - Soldier - Inventor - Builder

Dedicated Aug. 27, 1939. James Marshall Chapter No.49 E Clampus Vitus



©2009 David Schmitt