From the plaque:
El Dorado, meaning 'The Gilded One,'
was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire
the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place.
Originally an important camp on the old Carson Emigrant
Trail, by 1849-50 it had become the center of a mining
district and the crossroads for freight and stage lines.
At the height of the rush its large gold production supported
a population of several thousand.
California State Park Commission. Monument base erected by the Mother Lode Lions Club of Diamond Springs and El Dorado.