From the plaque:
This town, settled in 1848,
derived its name from its crystal clear springs. Among
the richest spots in this vicinity, its diggings produced
a 25-pound nugget, one of the largest ever found in El
Dorado County. Its most thriving period was in 1851 and,
through its lumber, lime production, and agriculture,
Diamond Springs has retained some of its early importance.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the citizens of Diamond Springs and the Mother Lode Lions Club of Diamond Springs and El Dorado.