.

#699:  Mormon Tavern - Overland Pony Express Route

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

On PG&E Clarksville Substation Rd, off of White Rock Road

38.656158,-121.0596

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

The plaque is on the side of the monument facing the freeway.


From the guidebook:

At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and on April 4, 1860, pony rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton changed horses here on the first eastbound trip.



David Schmitt