.

#748:  Coloma Road - Coloma

<< 1 >>

Location:

Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, in Gold Discovery parking area, State Hwy 49, Coloma

38.80238,-120.892808

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Here in the valley of the Cul-luh-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter's sawmill. The old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter's Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of the discovery to Captain John A. Sutter. During the gold rush, it was used by thousands of miners going to and from the diggings. In 1849 it became the route of California's first stage line, established by James E. Birch.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Golden Key of Greenwood, El Dorado County Chamber of Commerce, and the Grand Parlors of the Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West, August 4, 1960.



©2009 David Schmitt