.

#584:  Fort Miller

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

South shore of Millerton Lake State Recreation Area, adjacent to Millerton historical courthouse, Friant

36.996206,-119.697606

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

Site and plaque are located on State Park land and gated. Fee required for entry and limited hours.


From the guidebook:

Now inundated by Millerton Lake, Fort Miller was established in 1852 as a temporary headquarters for the Commissioners during the latter part of the Mariposa Indian War. The peace treaty was signed there April 29, 1851. The first recorded religious services in the Fresno area were performed here on October 21, 1855 by Right Reverend William Ingraham Kip, first Protestant Episcopal Bishop of California. The village of Rootville grew into the town of Millerton and became the first seat of Fresno County in 1856.


From the plaque:

Due north of here, now covered by the waters of the lake, was the site of Millerton, first county seat of Fresno County 1856-1874.

Jim Savage Chapter 1852 E Clampus Vitus



David Schmitt