.

#154:  Fort Humboldt

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

3431 Fort Ave, Eureka

40.777093,-124.187536

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Located in state park with limited operating hours. Buildings can be seen from the road at a distance.


From the plaque:

By the early 1850s, newly arrived white settlers had moved into the Humboldt Bay area, causing conflict with the native inhabitants. To protect both Indians and settlers, Fort Humboldt was established in 1853 and operated until 1866. It became a focal point in the violent struggle between two cultures. Many Native Americans were assembled here before removal to reservations.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Eureka Chapter No. 101, May 10, 1980.



2009 David Schmitt