.

#838:  Old Indian Village of Tsurai

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

SW corner of Ocean and Edwards Sts, Trinidad

41.058475,-124.141986

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Directly below was located the Yurok village of Tsurai. A prehistoric permanent Indian community, it was first located and described by Captains Bodega and Heceta, June 9-19, 1775. The houses were of hand-split redwood planks, designed for defense and protection. The village was occupied until 1916.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Heritage Trinidad and the Humboldt County Historical Society. July 22, 1970



2009 David Schmitt