.

#883:  Ferndale

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

Ferndale City Hall Park, intersection of Main and Herbert Sts, Ferndale

40.580841,-124.259953

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as 'cream city,' Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local creameries, and the town's role as a transportation and shipping center in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, fostered prosperity that produced Ferndale's outstanding Victorian-Gothic residential and false-front commercial architecture.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce Historical Committee and community effort. September 12, 1976.



2009 David Schmitt