From the plaque:
Originally called Camp Calhoun,
the site was first used as a U.S. military post in 1849.
A fire destroyed the original buildings. By 1855 the barracks
had been rebuilt. Called Camp Yuma in 1852, it became
Fort Yuma after reconstruction. Transferred to the Department
of the Interior and the Quechan Indian Tribe in 1884,
it became a boarding school operated by the Catholic Church
First registered June 1965. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Quechan Tribe and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, April 29, 1989.