From the Guidebook:
Here on September 23, 1849,
Lieut. Cave J. Couts, Escort Commander, International
Boundary Commission, established Camp Salvation. From
September till the first of December 1849, it served as
a refugee center for distressed emigrants attempting to
reach the gold fields over the Southern Emigrant Trail.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the City of Calexico and the Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, October 3, 1963.