From the plaque:
Camp Pilot Knob was a unit
of the Desert Training Center, established by General
George S. Patton, Jr., to prepare American troops for
battle during World War II. It was the largest military
training ground ever to exist. At the peak of activity
here at Pilot Knob, June-December, 1943, the 85th Infantry
Division, and the 36th and 44th Reconnaissance Squadrons
of the 11th (Mechanized) Cavalry trained here for roles
in the liberation of Europe, 1944-45.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, November 10, 1990.