#208:  San Francis Ranch

<< 1 2 3 >>


3 mi SW of Bishop at intersection of Red Hill Rd and State Hwy 168





Private Plaque



From the plaque:

In 1861, Samuel A. Bishop, his wife and party left Fort Tejon for the Owens Valley driving 650 head of stock. On August 22, Bishop reached a creek later named for him and southwest of this spot, established San Francis Ranch. There a peace treaty was signed by the settlers and the chiefs of the Paiute Indians.

Dedicated June 22, 1985 Slim Princess Chapter 395 E Clampus Vitus

©2009 David Schmitt