.

#223:  Site of Putnam's Cabin

<< 1 >>

Location:

139 Edwards St (Hwy 395), Independence

36.802987,-118.200136

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

One hundred thirty feet west of this site, Charles Putnam built the first cabin of permanent habitation in what is now Inyo County in August 1861. The building served as a home, trading post, hospital, and “fort” for early settlers, as well as a survival point for travelers. It became the center of the settlement of “Putnam’s”, which five years later took the name “Independence”.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Eastern California Museum Association, Inc., January 12, 1964.



©2009 David Schmitt