.

#230:  First Permanent White Habitation in Owens Valley

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

At intersection of State Hwy 6 (P.M. 3.9) and Silver Canyon Rd, 4 mi NE of Bishop

37.399601,-118.352653

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

In August of 1861, A. Van Fleet and three other men drove their cattle into Owens Valley and prepared to stay. A cabin of sod and stone was built at the big bend of the Owens River at the northern end of the valley.


From the plaque:

The first white man’s settlement in northern Owens Valley was built here in 1861 and two years later prospectors named it Owensville. It thrived for some time but in 1864, as mining in the White Mts. petered out the miners moved on to better diggings, leaving the town deserted.

Dedicated June 11, 1977 Slim Princess Chapter E Clampus Vitus



©2009 David Schmitt