.

#537:  Cottonwood Charcoal Kilns

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

Site located 1.0 mi E of State Hwy 395 (P.M. 44.5), 7 mi N of Cartago. Plaque located at Hwy 395.

Plaque: 36.417880,-118.028252
Site: 36.415176,-118.011967

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

In June 1873 Colonel Sherman Stevens built a sawmill and flume on Cottonwood Creek high in the Sierras directly west of this spot. The flume connected with the Los Angeles Bullion Road. The lumber from the flume was used for timbering in the mine and buildings, and the wood was turned into charcoal in these kilns, then hauled to Steven's Wharf east of here on Owens Lake. There it was put on the Steamer "Bessie Brady," or the "Mollie Stevens," hailed directly across the lake, and from there wagons tool it up the "Yellow Grade" to Cerro Gordo Mine high in the Inyo Mountains above Keeler. M. W. Belshaw's Furnaces had used all available wood around the Cerro Gordo and the charcoal was necessary to continue production. The bullion which was then taken out by the reverse of this route was hauled to Los Angeles on Remi Nadeau's 14, 16, 18 animal freight wagons and played a major part in the building of that little pueblo unto the city it is today.



©2009 David Schmitt