#752:  Furnace of the Owens Lake Silver-Lead Company

<< 1 2 3 >>


300 ft W of State Hwy 136 (P.M. 9.5), 3.1 mi NW of Keeler





State Plaque



From the plaque:

The Owens Lake Silver-Lead Furnace and Mill was built here by Col. Sherman Stevens in 1869 and used until March 1874. James Brady assumed its operation in 1870 for the Silver-Lead Company and built the town of Swansea. During the next few years the output of this furnace and another at Cerro Gordo was around 150 bars of silver ever 24 hours, each weighing 83 pounds.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Eastern California Museam Association, November 5, 1961.

©2009 David Schmitt