.

#773:  Old Harmony Borax Works

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

State Hwy 190 (P.M. 109.1), 1.4 mi N of Furnace Creek, Death Valley National Monument

36.479998,-116.869753

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

On the marsh near this point borax was discovered in 1881 by Aaron Winters who later sold his holdings to W. T. Coleman of San Francisco. In 1882 Coleman built the Harmony Borax Works and commissioned his superintendent J. W. S. Perry, to design wagons and locate a suitable route to Mojave. The work of gathering the ore (called cottonball) was done by Chinese workmen. From this point processed borax was transported 165 miles by twenty mule team to the railroad until 1889.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission, Death Valley '49ers, Inc. and the National Park Service, November 10, 1962.



©2009 David Schmitt