From the plaque:
In 1926, H. W. Eichbaum obtained
a franchise for a toll road from Darwin Falls to Stovepipe
Wells, the first maintained road into the Valley from
the west. It changed the area's economic base from mining
to tourism and brought about the creation of Death Valley
National Monument seven years later.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Death Valley '49ers, Inc., November 12, 1971.