From the plaque:
In 1883, the Carson &
Colorado Railroad was built between Mound House (near
Carson City, Nevada) through Laws to Keeler, California,
a distance of 300 miles. Laws Station was named in honor
of Mr. R. J. Laws, Assistant Superintendent of the railroad.
Between 1883 and about 1915, this railroad provided the
only dependable means of transportation in and out of
Owens Valley. Train service was stopped on April 30, 1960.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Bishop Museum and Historical Society April 1, 1983.