#130:  Willow Springs

<< 1 2 >>


On Manly Rd, north of Truman Rd, Willow Springs





Private Plaque



From the Guidebook:

Willow Springs was visited by Padre Garcés in 1776 while following the old Horse Thief Trail (later known as Joe Walker Trail) - Frémont stopped here in 1844, and the famished Jayhawk Party of 1850 found water here while struggling from Death Valley to Los Angeles. Still later, Willow Springs was a stage station of the Los Angeles-Havilah and Inyo Stage Lines.

From the plaque:

Willow Springs was a stage station on the Los Angeles-Havilah Stage Lines, 1864-1874. From here light traffic went through Oak Creek Pass via Tehachapi to Havilah and Kernville; heavy traffic went northwest to the Inyo mines, or via Jawbone Canyon to the South Fork of the Kern; hence to the Kern mines.

Dedicated June 6, 1937 Bakersfield Parlor No. 42 N.S.G.W., El Tejon Parlor No. 239 N.D.G.W., Kern County Historical Society, Kern County Chamber of Commerce, Department of Natural Resources Reg. No 130, State of California

©2009 David Schmitt