.

#374:  Tulamniu Indian Site

<< 1 >>

Location:

300 ft SE of Block House #BV4, 1.1 mi N of Buena Vista pumping station, 8 mi E of Taft

35.175718,-119.342199

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

We drove along the aquaduct for the 1.1 miles to get to the site, probably on private property, but nobody stopped us. It may be possible to use the dirt road that parallels the aquaduct, as seen in the map.


From the Guidebook:

The old Yokuts village of Tulamniu was named Buena Vista by Spanish Commander Fages in 1772. Fr. Zalvidea again recorded the site in 1806. This village was occupied for several centuries, and in 1933-34 its site was excavated by the Smithsonian Institution.



©2009 David Schmitt