.

#492:  Buttonwillow Tree

<< 1 >>

Location:

Buttonwillow Dr, 0.5 mi N of State Hwy 58, Buttonwillow

35.406878,-119.474286

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

A lone tree landmark on an old trans-valley trail. It was an ancient Yokuts Indian meeting place, later a location for white stock rodeos. Miller and Lux established their headquarters and store here about 1885. The town of Buttonwillow takes its name from this old tree and rodeo grounds.

Dedicated February 24, 1952. Marker placed by Kern County Historical Society, Kern County Museum.



©2009 David Schmitt