From the plaque:
Located one-eighth mile west
of here is an ancient asphaltum seepage in which hundreds
of Pleistocene Age (15,000-50,000 years ago) birds and
animals were trapped. The site was first explored in 1928
by the University of California - excavation was completed
in 1949 by the Los Angeles and Kern County museums.
Marker placed by Kern County Historical Society, Miocene Parlor No. 228 N.D.G.W., El Tejon Parlor No. 238 N.D.G.W., and Kern County Museum. Dedicated June 29, 1952.