From the plaque:
Eight miles due west of this
marker stood one of California's first commercial oil
refineries. Between August 1864 and April 1867, approximately
4,000 gallons of illuminating oil produced there was shipped
to San Francisco by the Buena Vista Petroleum Company.
Refining operations terminated due to excessive transportation
Dedicated May 23, 1954. Marker placed by Kern County Historical Society, Miocene Parlor No.228 N.D.G.W., The Petroleum Production Pioneers, and Kern County Museum.