From the plaque:
The oldest settlement in
Tehachapi Valley, known as 'Old Town,' was established
here during the 1860s. Long an important station on the
road between Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley,
the community began to decline when residents gradually
moved to nearby Greenwich, later renamed Tehachapi, after
completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1876.
Plaque placed by California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor No.239, Native Daughters of the Golden West, and Kern County Museum, July 27, 1958.