From the plaque:
Just west of this point was
the Southern Pacific terminus for the 20-mule-team borax
wagons that operated between Death Valley and Mojave from
1884 to 1889. The route ran from the Harmony Borax Mining
Company works, later acquired by the Pacific Coast Borax
Company, to the railroad loading dock in Mojave over 165
miles of mountain and desert trail. A round trip required
20 days. The ore wagons, which hauled a payload of 24
tons, were designed by J. W. S. Perry, Borax Company superintendent
in Death Valley, and built in Mojave at a cost of $900
each. New borax discoveries near Barstow ended the Mojave
shipments in 1889.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor No.239, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Kern County Museum. October 19, 1958.