From the plaque:
In 1896, Eugene Garlock constructed
a stamp mill near this spot to crush gold ore from the
Yellow Aster Mine on Rand Mountain. Known originally as
Cow Wells by prospectors and freighters during the 1880s
and early 1890s, the town of Garlock continued to thrive
until 1898, when water was piped from here to Randsburg
and the Kramer-Randsburg rail line was completed.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor No. 239, Native Daughters of the Golden West and the Kern County Museum, May 22, 1960.