.

#742:  Campstie of Edward M. Kern

<< 1 >>

Location:

Entrance to Old Isabella Rd Recreation Area, on State Hwy 178, 2 mi N of the town of Lake Isabella

35.64935,-118.45823

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Near this spot at the confluence of the north and south forks of the Kern River the Theodore Talbot Party of Captain John C. Fremont's third expedition to the West camped for several weeks during December 1845 and January 1846. The river was named by Fremont in honor of Edward M. Kern, Topographer for the expedition. Kern County was established in 1866 and derived its name from that of the river.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Kern County Historical Society, El Tejon Parlor No.239 Native Daughters of the Golden West and the Kern County Museum, May 27, 1962.



©2009 David Schmitt