From the plaque:
Originally known as Allen's
Camp after Gabriel Allen, who in the 1870s had a cabin
and stock pasture near here, the settlement was named
Caliente when railroad construction reached this point
in April 1875. The town became a railroad terminal for
about 16 months while a force of up to three thousand
men, most of them Chinese, labored on the heavy railroad
construction on the mountain.
Dedicated July 16, 1965. Marker placed by Kern County Historical Society, Bakersfield Parlor No.42 N.S.G.W., El Tejon Parlor No.239 N.D.G.W., and Kern County Museum.